Research evidence suggests a number of massage benefits:
- It reduces muscle tension and pain resulting from accidents or injuries or due to conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic back pain, headaches, osteoarthritis and stress.
- It decreases anxiety and depression.
- It promotes relaxation and enhances the immune system.
- It lessens dependence on medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- It assists with a shorter, easier labor for expectant mothers.
- It stretches, lengthens and increases the pliability of tight or weak muscles and connective tissues.
- It helps athletes at all levels to get ready for and recover from the physical and psychological demands of their particular sports.